Thursday, September 26, 2013

5 Awesome Running Shoes You Gotta’ Try


I.  Heart.  Running.  Shoes.  I can talk about running shoes--its design, construction and performance--all day long.  All night long if you’re into Lionel Ritchie.  (Ladies, I’m a great first date!!!!)


In fact, the shoe wall display at Fleet Feet Sports is aptly named the Joel Memorial Shoe Wall.  Actually, it’s self-proclaimed, but as my 10 year-old daughter, Gabrielle, would say, “whatevs.”
Photo Credit: Melissa B., my boo

Anyhoo.  Consider rotating two (2) different pairs of running shoes when training to avoid overuse injuries and to extend the life of your shoes.  I swap the Brooks PureFlow 2 and the adidas Energy Boost (with Green SuperFeet, of course) between my workouts.


With that, here are 5 Awesome Running Shoes You Gotta’ Try:


  1. adidas Energy Boost
This neutral shoe is both well cushioned and responsive.  Its relatively lightweight package (9.5 oz) and low profile (10 mm offset) works very well with my efficient Kenyan-like biomechanics.  *tongue firmly in cheek*

I finished the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run and the Parks Half-Marathon in these mamma jammas.  The energy-returning boost midsole still feels as springy as the day I first tried them on.


2.              Newton Energy
Who doesn’t want more energy return from their running shoes?  Notice a theme here?  You’ll find it with its streamlined external lugs in the forefoot--absorbing the impact of the footstrike and then releasing the energy during push-off.

The Newton Energy stands in the very front of my Next Pair of Running Shoes to Buy queue.


3.              Pearl Izumi N2 and H3
The N2 and H3 provide a nice balance of cushioning and support.  Its Dynamic Offset, a new midsole that adapts with your foot during the gait cycle, delivers a smooth, responsive ride.  Added rear-foot stability and maximum cushioning is built into the H3.


4.              New Balance 880
I ran my first half-marathon years ago in a pair of 880s and posted a 1:48 time.  (You see, Terri B., I didn’t stop to take pictures!!)

In this update, lightweight cushioning in the midfoot offers optimum shock absorption, and the T-Beam plastic shank in the instep provides excellent support and stability.


5.              Nike Pegasus
When I started running twenty-two years ago, the Nike Pegasus was my first pair of “real” running shoes.  With these iconic shoes, you get responsive cushioning along with a comfortable seamless mesh upper.

I also thought that owning and wearing a pair of 1” running shorts were what “real” runners wore as well.  Not true.  At.  All.


So, come on by and try these awesome running shoes!!  And while you’re here, pay homage to the Joel Memorial Shoe Wall; treat it like a visit to Graceland or to the World’s Largest Ball of Twine or something.


If you run, you’re my friend,
Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment