Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Haiku for You!

Roses, chocolate, jewelry, dinner by candle light. These are the hallmarks of Valentine’s day, but they are material things and love cannot be bought!
Sonnets, sestinas, ballads and odes. Poetry is the language of love! Call me a sap, but what could be more romantic than a lyrical outpouring in a formulated structure?
Don’t believe me? Just try not to swoon:

How do I love thee, running? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight.
 
Ok, so maybe I didn’t write that, but I did test out my poetic inclinations and write a haiku just for you guys. Here it is:

Sunday, long run day
Think my nose hairs are frozen
…What I do for love

O.K., you’ve read my poem, now I want to read yours. I know you might be intimidated by my talents as a poet, so I’m offering an incentive. Whoever has the best running-themed haiku will win a $15 gift certificate and a free pair of Balega socks. Don’t you think that’s worth 17 syllables?

To refresh your memory, haikus are 3 line poems. The first line has 5 syllables, the second has 7, and the third goes back to 5. If you comment below and follow those simple guidelines to bring out your inner poet, you could be the winner!

Can’t wait to read your responses.
-Maggie

1 comment:

  1. Started for daughter
    Kept on for her brother Sam
    Running now for me

    ReplyDelete