Friday, February 8, 2013

Get Out of Hibernation Mode!

I have a confession to make:
For me, winter is a period profuse with excuse. In fact, I’d say excuses are the singular field in which my productivity increases. Basically, I go in to hibernation mode. And yet, here I am writing for a blog called Trampling Down Walls & Eradicating Excuses. I haven’t written an article in nearly a month because I haven’t been running as much as I would like to be, but that’s just another excuse, isn’t it?
And I know I’m not alone in this. There’s a wise adage that goes like this: “Excuses are like…” well, never mind. But the punchline is “Everbody has one.” So today I’m going to lay out all of the excuses I have not to run and week by week, I’m going to (do my best to) eradicate every single one of them.
1)      I have persistent IT Band Syndrome
2)      It’s too damn cold
3)      I’m bored of running Seneca Creek/I don’t know other trails in the area
4)      I’m not signed up for any races, so I don’t have a goal
At the top of my list is IT Band pain, which I’ve been struggling with since last March. I have the tools to work through the injury but I haven’t been consistent, especially with strengthening exercises. So, I asked our manager-in-training and resident glute/hip strengthening expert, Melissa to make me an idiot-proof work out plan. Here is what she came up with:
ü  Box Squats, 4 sets of 15
ü  Bulgarian Split Squats, 3 sets of 10
ü  Band Abductions & Kickbacks, 4 sets of 25
ü  Barbell Glute Raise/Hip Thrusts, 5 sets of 10
ü  Side Lunges, 3 sets of 12
I know what you’re thinking, Bulgarian Split Squats sound like a barbaric Ottoman torture technique. O.K., maybe that’s just what I’m thinking, but Melissa has assured me that with her guidance, in a few weeks, I will look exactly like this:
I bet Beyoncé never has IT Band problems.

Stay tuned for my next Blog update when I post pictures from my work-out sessions with Melissa and tackle my next excuse! Now it’s your turn. What are some of your excuses and how do you plan to work through them?

- Maggie

4 comments:

  1. Any recommended stretches for IT band problems? My cure for IT band problems came after learning how to run properly, finding a good base form, and making small tweaks that are optimized for my body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My #1 excuse is my coach (you) is not running very much, so why should I closely followed by #2 I'm too tired and #3 It's too cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chino,

    For IT band, I find stretching isn't as effective as rolling. Check out this video of how to use a foam roller specifically for IT band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmiLTuZ2kFc

    You can skip to about 55 seconds in when the exercise is actually demonstrated and I find that bending the knee of the leg you're rolling out really gets in there and works out the band.

    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete